The St. Romuald’s Cave is located in the Lim bay. It has significant cultural and historical value. It is believed that St. Romuald used to live there for some time. He decided to devote himself to a solitary life, so he founded a monastery order Camaldoli in Kloštar above the Lim bay. Local inhabitants believed that demons and dark forces possessed the cave and therefore no one tried to approach that area. However, in 1002, St. Romuald had entered the cave, and stayed there for two and a half years. His only contact with the outside world was through a shepherd from the Jural village. After Romulad had left, others visited the cave. Since 19 June 1028, the processions of the priests from Dvigrad have been held to mark the day of the Saint’s death.
The cave is 105 meters long and it is located 97 meters above the sea level. Several impressive halls are placed in the interior, which is the evidence of the continuous existence of life since the prehistoric times. Some tools, as well as the bones of more than 40 animal species were found there (cave bear, cave lion, leopard, cave hyena, wild horse, big deer, snow hare, etc.), which indicates that the caveman lived there during the Paleolithic. Another interesting fact is that today the cave is the habitat of a large colony of the most endangered European species of bats (Myotis myotis).